August 31, 2010

Service

"It is impossible to get exhausted in work for God. We get exhausted because we try to do God's work in our own way." 
-Oswald Chambers

So easily, we as humans become exhausted. We grow tired, weary, worn out. Exhaustion comes all the sooner when what we aim to do is for the glory of God. This is when Satan sees his opportunity to corrupt us, give us selfish motivations, and weigh us down so that we become fatigued before God does a great work through us. At camp, exhaustion is guaranteed. When something so powerful as changing lives for Jesus Christ is at stake, Satan is working overtime to exhaust those following God's call. Yet when we truly rely on God and let our work be His, infinite amounts of strength invigorate us, replenish us, and erase all exhaustion. We are no longer doing God's work "in our own way." While there were plenty of times I felt the tug of exhaustion this summer, God kept reminding me to rely on Him. It was His call for me to serve Him and return all glory back to Him. Nowhere could I find any self-centered principle in what my summer was to be about, according to what God placed on my heart.

I felt that this summer, God was calling me to something more than what I had done before. During the interview process, I was given the challenge to "put myself out there" this summer - and I had no idea what that meant! But as the time for me to arrive at camp drew near, I felt God was calling me to something more than what I had done before. I was praying that God would use me not only to minister to the campers and do well the job that I was called to, but to also be a resource for the staff and step up in places that may not have been in my job title. Above all, I was yearning to serve. Soon, I began making lists (planning, of course - what else to be expected from me!) of what I felt God was calling me to do in my service this summer.



One goal was committing to daily prayer. Prayer is so important, and especially in a place like camp where becoming tired and weary is so near at hand, the need to be lifting those around me to the Father was very present. I wanted to make sure I set aside time at the beginning and end of each day in prayer for myself, for the ministry, and for one other person on staff. Looking back I know that this was not an easy challenge, and I confess some of the time spent in prayer was shorter than others, some prayers were said while walking down to breakfast amidst campers because I had overslept my alarm, or even some days when i prayed only once or not at all for this reason or that excuse. But this commitment eventually became something I grew so much in - learning discipline to make sure I had that time with Jesus, really desiring to be praying for the things that God placed on my heart in those moments, and for what those people I was praying for needed at that time.

Another calling (the strongest) placed on my heart was to be an encouragement to those around me - to share the joy of Jesus that I couldn't contain and be a reminder of the positivity found in God's peace. On the wall in the staff lounge at camp is an encouragement board. This is a place to leave and receive notes of encouragement for staffers who you might not get the chance in a day to encourage in-person. Anyone on staff could tell you the power that a simple tangible token of encouragement can have on one's outlook, attitude, or perspective during a day at camp. Knowing firsthand how awesome receiving an encouragement note can be, I wanted to write everyone a personal encouragement note over the summer. This is something I really believe was from God, and I felt it was so important for me to do even before I had arrived this summer. So, of course, I began finding every spare moment I could to write a quick note to someone on staff. I started the summer off well (so I thought) by writing a note every day, then a few notes a week. But soon I lost track of how many I had written, who I had written them to, while also keeping up with writing other notes to whoever really needed them at the time even if I had written them already. It was also getting to the point in the summer that the majority of us were becoming tired, falling into a routine (which is always a prime time for Satan to take hold), or in need of a reminder of God's call. So, at the start of week 6, God gave me an idea. Why not write everyone a personal note of encouragement all at once? That way, the entire staff could feel encouraged, and I would be able to accomplish my goal! In retrospect, I can see how perfectly God orchestrated this plan of mine to come to fruition in His perfect way. I had numerous homesick campers that week, and it was comforting to them for me to sit up awake while they fell asleep. So as I stayed awake (until 1 in the morning most nights), I spent my time writing encouragement notes - time that I would not have normally had after long, every-second-scheduled days spent with campers. Most notes were written between 11 p.m. and 1 a.m., so I cannot confirm that they all made sense, but early on Friday morning, I eagerly rushed off to the staff lounge and covered the (what was a mostly empty for a while at that point in the summer) encouragement board. I remember being fearful that I had forgotten somebody, or that I had written someone twice, or that they were all too short or impersonal (though each was expressly personal in reality), or that I should not have put them all up at once, but rather spread them out over the remainder of the summer. However, I was quickly reassured by many staffers that they were so happy to receive a note (some for the first time all summer!) and that was confirmation for me from God that He had used my work for His glory and purpose yet again. That was one of the biggest - and most obvious - ways I realized something God wanted me to learn. God used my work. I obeyed. I grew. God moved, and I am so humbled to have had my work for Him be used for His purposes and to bring Him glory!

One of the more significant things God taught me this summer was about the way in which I serve. This was not more prevalent than on the very last night that we as a staff spent at CHBC. That night was the banquet celebrating our long-yet-short time at camp, our relationships that had grown out of a "motley crew," and everything else that God accomplished through all of us. Many traditions exist at the annual end-of-summer banquet (giving of awards, singing silly songs, and everything littered with inside jokes), but what had by far the most impact on me was the humbling experience of receiving the Harbor Hasty Bucket. This award is given (by the previous year's winner) to someone on staff who has a passion for what they do and seeks to serve in whatever way they can (or something like that!). I was floored. In that moment, I had absolutely no words. I took the mic and rambled on about how much it meant to me to be a part of something that made a difference for campers like I had the chance to experience as a camper myself - but inside I was completely overwhelmed. I can remember looking out at that crowd of people who I came to know and love and realizing that I had personally encouraged every one of them, prayed for them, hoped to be a blessing to them - and to be recognized in that way was something I never expected or fathomed. At this point in the night, we moved on to other things like staying up all night, crazy adventures in the costume closet, hangout time in the JAC, multiple runs to McDonald's for sweet tea, driving aimlessly around camp in a minivan - but no canoodling or tomfoolery, of course!!!

A few times through the night amidst the laughter and fun, I was congratulated and asked how it felt to be the Hasty Bucket recipient. I couldn't respond more than to blush and shake my head in astonishment. I had not yet taken the time to realize what it really meant. It wasn't after watching one of the most awe-inspiring sunrises from the pier that I had a chance to take a moment to myself. I found a spot on the front lawn right before breakfast, opened my Bible, and suddenly the tears came at full force. Emotions were ranging from sadness at leaving that place and community, joy for the lives that were changed through Jesus Christ, happiness for cherished memories and new experiences. But most of all I was weeping for how present God was with me in that moment. I had not yet had the opportunity to process what God was screaming in my ear since the banquet (and really over most of the summer), and I found myself hearing it loud and clear.

This is when I finally realized what God was saying to me. He revealed to me that when I serve, I do it with absolutely no thought of recognition. Nothing I had ever done at camp that summer (or in other places I served) was ever done with the notion that I would get anything in return. Honestly, I know that God has given me that ability, because it is not easy to work without recognition. As humans, we seek attention, crave acknowledgment. But I never for a second felt that as any motivation for my work this summer - it was all from and for the glory of God that I did everything. I yearn to serve God through serving those around me in any way He allows me without a second thought. So in that moment, for me to be receiving praise and recognition because of service was overpowering. It was difficult for me to realize that the work God allowed me to do was not unnoticed - that He truly was glorified through it all! I am so used to (and comfortable with) serving without recognition, that attention because of that work is foreign, uncomfortable even. God wanted me to know that by "putting myself out there" this summer, He was glorified! It was not because of anything I planned, but because He worked through me and despite me to minister to those around me. Praise God!

Early that final morning at camp when I opened my Bible and began to weep as I processed  the power of what God had accomplished through me, I came to this passage. May these words speak to you, be a blessing to you, and an encouragement for you to serve God without exhaustion for the only goal of bringing Him glory!

"As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies - in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ.  
To Him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen."
- 1 Peter 4:10-11

2 comments:

  1. Stefanie - I am soooo grateful for your precious love for your Savior and your sweet spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete