August 28, 2010

Something Beautiful

Hey now, this is my desire
Consume me like a fire, 'cause I just want 
Something beautiful to touch me,
I know that I'm in reach
'Cause I am down on my knees
I'm waiting for something beautiful

"Something Beautiful" by Needtobreathe might be the song that best describes my summer. I had the privilege of serving God as a camp counselor for the summer at Covenant Harbor Bible Camp in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. I feel so blessed to say that this summer, I was a part of something beautiful.

Having worked at CHBC the previous summer (not to mention volunteering the summer before, and countless experiences as a camper before that), I had mixed feelings about what I thought the summer would be like. I knew and was excited for the people I had grown to love from the '09 staff to be returning with me, albeit not all in the same roles. I was anxious and excited to meet the individuals who God had called to work there for the first time, or whom I had not had the chance to work with yet. I was mentally, physically, and spiritually preparing for another summer of being with campers and all the questions, stresses, and lack of sleep that come with the position of counseling. I was excited to see how, though I was returning to the same position as the previous year, God was going to do new and great things through me and our staff as a whole. So (a few days early to work on maintenance 'cause I just couldn't wait to get to camp!), I arrived back at camp feeling like I was ready for the summer. As accurate as I may have thought that statement was at the time, I now see that I was in no way close to being ready for what God did. At all.



Staff training happened, and it was a blast to get to know everyone and see God begin to mold together the 'motley crew' that we were. Campers soon arrived, and we began to learn the ropes of surviving meals in the lodge as we were trying to get some small amount nourishment ourselves while dueling for tubing signup slots, getting our campers up the hill to primetime and big games on time, and dealing with endless schedule questions, homesick campers, and cabin dynamics as our campers came together to form the groups God desired them to be. Little issues like mealtimes and logistical things were the extent of the problems we were facing, but I remember the fear of Satan getting a foothold in our staff was something that was very present on my heart at that time. I couldn't tell you why or where that fear arose from, but I remember spending many spare moments (as few and far between as they may have been) praying against Satan and his evil schemes. Looking back I can see why this was placed on my heart, because God did some mighty things that would not have been possible if we all did not cling to Him and rely on his strength to get us through. And I know there were countless times when all of us were getting through even just the next activity by His strength alone.

Family camp was soon upon us - a favorite week among the staff for the more relaxed schedule, more frequent opportunities for interaction with each other, and a chance to minister to a new group of patrons at the Harbor. I absolutely loved getting the chance to be with the babies and toddlers group in the mornings (so much fun!) and I was blessed to be paired with the same family I was paired with the previous year. It is truly amazing to see how children grow, mature, and change in just a year's span (what a joy parenting must be - but that is off topic!). I remember it was this week that I really began to see the potential God had for this summer as a whole. I was beginning to let myself discover the position God had for me in this staff.

After a couple summers at camp, I feel that there is a certain 'formula' that must be filled by the staff. Like God knows exactly what spiritual gifts, talents, and abilities must be present in the staff for His will to be done, and that He calls people into exactly the positions they need to be in. I don't think it's as simple as one person is the energy, another the patience, another the wisdom, but yet that when everyone comes together, all the gifts that need to be there are present in exactly the way and manner God willed them to be. And not even that the same people would fill the same role on staff if they were returning, but that God would use the gifts He has given them to combine with the rest to end up with that perfect 'camp formula.' I don't know that I can look back and put a title on the role God had me fill this summer, but it was about halfway through that I began to see where I was fitting in. I was having so much fun with my campers and answering their questions - that challenged my faith and kept me on my toes, let me tell you! Nothing drives one to prayer like knowing that soon fifth graders will be asking what the Trinity is or how we know that scripture is truly from God or that God really cares and can hear us when we call His name! I really felt that God was beginning to reveal to me other ways I could serve Him beyond pouring myself into campers. Some of the goals I had at the beginning of the summer were coming together, and I loved how God was showing up in big ways for the campers as well as the staff.

I'll go into more detail what I felt called to at a later time (this post is already much more that I planned - no surprise there!). But coming away from the summer, it truly was something beautiful. God took each and every one of us already beautiful people and placed a desire on all of our hearts. I know that without that desire to really do His work and be all about Him this summer, all that we did would have been in vain. But it wasn't! God moved! Jesus was exalted! The Spirit was present! There is much more to share from this summer, which I will get around to sharing eventually, but I am just blessed to say that I was witness to, present for, participated in, and served God for a summer that was truly something beautiful.


Week 7 from Covenant Harbor on Vimeo.
You can hear the whole song by Needtobreathe in the player at the bottom of the page, or hear the whole song with lyrics here: Something Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment